One of the earliest records of giants appearing in a procession other than
that of the Corpus Christi celebrations is recorded in Sineu in 1653 in a
payment of 1 lliura, 8 sous 12 diners to be paid to Master Craftsman
Pere Antoni to make the costume to be worn by the giant at the celebrations
of the patron saint, St Rock. It is unknown if the giant also participated
in the Corpus Christi procession. There is also documentary evidence of this
giant accompanying the Sineu cossiers.
The present day giants are made from fibreglass with an internal aluminium
structure. They were presented to their town on 8 October 2005, on the
occasion of their baptism, in the presence of other giants, including
some from Minorca. Their godparents were the giant Toni of Sa Poble and
the Inca giantess. He was named Marc in honour of St Mark the patron saint
of the town and she became Maria dels Āngels in honour of Our Lady in one of her
many guises. Marc measures 3.78 metres and weighs 34 kilos. Maria dels Āngels
measures slightly less at 3.75 metres but weighs one kilo more.
They were built by Aragonesa de Fiestas in Zaragoza.
He represents the traditional blacksmith; tools of trade in one hand, a
horseshoe in the other. She is dressed as a typical countrywoman, a gatherer
of figs, with her basket.